- Setup entire site structure NOT based on old site (because I will use 301s)
- Create the new url on new site as cornerstone page, medumtail page or a longtail page using a good plug
- /microsoft-access-programmer (cornerstone)
- /how-to-hire-microsoft-access-programmer (mediumtail)
- /how-to-hire-microsoft-access-programmer-for-attorney-office (longtail)
- Setup social accounts with links to new site
- Place links squarespace to those accounts with their icons
- For my best traffic pages use 301s to redirect to new pages. No need to create identical urls and no need for identical content for them at all since I have so little traffic. JUST need a page to redirect to.
- On pages, fix internal links that have .htm or .html or are bad links (if any)
- Link from the cornerstone or mediumtail to this new page
- Create the redirect (ALL PAGES WILL NEED REDIRECTS BECAUSE HTM EXTENSION WILL BE LOST with squarespace. ONLY REDIRECT 301 if the page HAS links or rank or can be a cornerstone or mediumtail or longtail, DELETE 410 if not of any value)
- Do a 301 for all the main pages on the site including the index.html page.
- Do a 301 for the other pages below.
- Do a 410 for the ones I remove entirely, that dont have ranking or and dont have inbound links and are not cornerstones, medium or longtails
Update the DNS settings
You start the site move by updating the DNS settings to point to the new hosting provider. Check with your DNS provider for how to do that. Because the DNS cache setting is cached, the setting takes some time to fully propagate to all users on the internet.
finished - SITE TEST
- Test the new site: https://toolbox.seositecheckup.com/apps/seo-checkup
- Check for spam backlinks and if any found then create a Disavow file and submit to google.
- Add the HTTPS property to Google Search Console
- Do a google fetch
- Ask Google & Yahoo to re-index site
- Submit sitemap to Google & Yahoo
- Update Google Analytics Profile URL. Under your account click into Admin and then your view settings. Then flip the URL to the HTTPS version.
- Create new ads in adwords because urls are different and no extension
- Start a rank checker that runs automatic daily
NOTES / RESOURCES:
Retain rankings after loosing the htm and html page name extensions on squarespace:
- Do 301s for all the main pages on the site including the index.html page keeping content nearly identical which I will modify later for better ranking.
- Do 301s for the keyword old landing pages I want to keep which I will modify later for better ranking.
- Do 410s for the ones I remove entirely, that dont have ranking or and dont have inbound links and are not cornerstones, medium or longtails
- A 301 Redirect Guide: https://turbofuture.com/internet/301-2
- 1. Determine which URLs have valuable ranking so are worth doing 301 redirects for. (use historic index or simolar tool on https://majestic.com/ for one month when ready) Only 301 those that have rank or inbound links. Delete and use 410s for usless pages.
- 2. For the 301s Keep the textual content of the new squarespace page nearly the same as the old page ohterwise google will drop the page rank and links too.
- 3. HTTPS / SSL is Free with all squarespace sites and will increase all my ranks on google.